Thursday, March 23, 2017

We found love in a hopeless place

The thunder and lightning are not letting up. I am sitting at a booth in the back corner of Los Tacos, but apparently I am not far enough away from the loud claps of thunder and unrelenting torrential rain. I try to think, but every time I arrive at the semblance of a rational thought, my consciousness is shattered to bits by the frustration of the gods. I was on a walk-- just like I normally do to stimulate my mind a little-- when the storm kicked up, instantaneously and from out of nowhere. That's when I ducked into Los Tacos, the closest building I considered relatively hospitable. The storm didn't look like it would subside any time soon, so I settled in.
On the first pass, the I politely turned down the waiter. I had something on my mind, but I wasn't sure what it was, so I gave myself some time to ruminate. Right around this time, Autumn Moore walks in. She must have been caught in the storm too, because she rushed in carrying a soaked umbrella. She catches my glimpse and headed back toward my booth. She seamlessly slides right in to the seat across from me, and it seems like she has been there the whole time I have. The waiter returns and we both order a glass of water.
Initially, we just sip our water in silence.
"What brings you here?", I ask timidly.
"I actually come here every Thursday night. It's half-priced drinks night, and I've made this a tradition of sorts".
"Now that I think about it, I don't have any traditions. I don't see my family much, and I haven't established any yet.
"Well you know what they say: 'The less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it'. 
I didn't hear what Autumn said because I was too busy looking at her. She must have been confused because I didn't respond, but her face didn't show it. She began to look at me as intently as I was at her, but the waiter's words cut through the moment like a strong wind. We quickly ordered. I got the taco plate, and she got a taco plate with a gin & tonic. We ate our food and drank, but we focused on getting to know each other better. I learned that she grew up in New York. She had completely lost the accent if she ever had one, which is why I couldn't tell. It seems like no one in this town has an accent at all. 
We finished up our meal. In the time we had been talking, the sky had cleared completely. Once again this happened seemingly in an instant. We decided to walk home, together. I think I fell in love that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment